Chatsworth chat rooms

In 1549 they sold all their property in the area to Sir William Cavendish, Treasurer of the King's Chamber and the husband of Bess of Hardwick, who had persuaded him to sell his property in Suffolk and settle in her native county. She selected a site near the river, which was drained by digging a series of reservoirs, which doubled as fish ponds.Sir William died in 1557, but Bess finished the house in the 1560s and lived there with her fourth husband, George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury.

Chatsworth chat rooms-33Chatsworth chat rooms-23Chatsworth chat rooms-77

Chatsworth ceased to be a large estate, until the 15th century when it was acquired by the Leche family who owned property nearby.

They enclosed the first park at Chatsworth and built a house on the high ground in what is now the south-eastern part of the garden.

An accomplished needlewoman, Bess joined Mary at Chatsworth for extended periods in 1569, 1570, and 1571, during which time they worked together on the Oxburgh Hangings.

This engraving by Kip and Knyff shows Chatsworth part way through the 1st Duke's alterations.

Connoisseur of the arts the collection include paintings, Old Master drawings and prints, ancient coins and carved Greek and Roman sculptures.

Palladian furniture designed by William Kent was commissioned by the 3rd Duke when he had Devonshire House in London rebuilt following a fire in 1733.

Upon the sale and demolition of Devonshire House in 1924 the furniture was transferred to Chatsworth.

The 4th Duke made great changes to the house and gardens.

Get a head start on your workday from the comfort of the home office.

When the job is done, enjoy family time in the open living room/kitchen.

The 1st Duke also had large parterre gardens designed by George London and Henry Wise, who was later appointed by Queen Anne to the post of Royal Gardner at Kensington Palace.

Tags: , ,